Australia’s Macquarie Dictionary announced their word of the year (WOTY) for 2010 yesterday:
'goohguhlganguh [American dialects end in “-ur” for many]
noun a person with the same name as oneself, whose online references are mixed with one’s own among search results for one’s name.
[google + (doppel)ganger]
By the way, I’m not the Kevin Sullivan who wrote, directed, and produced the Canadian Anne of Green Gables television movies.
Macquarie Dictionary also has people’s choice awards in 18 categories.
See more years plus UK and American words of the year on my site:
UK and Australian English Words of the Year (since 2006)
- Language Expert Susie Dent of Oxford University Press (OUP), United Kingdom
- Macquarie Dictionary, Australia
American English Word of the Year (since 1990)
- American Dialect Society (ADS)
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary
- New Oxford American Dictionary
- Webster’s New World College Dictionary